Monday, November 16, 2015

NaNoWriMo 2015 - November 16

Well today wasn't great for writing. Had a one-two punch of work eating into my writing time, and my brain being pretty fried by the work day. I found it hard to focus on the story. My mind kept wandering to work issues and planning for tomorrow instead of just writing the story in front of me. As a result I didn't quite hit the minimum word count I needed to. Disappointing, but not a deal breaker. I'm still ahead of where I need to be.

One thing that is troubling me is that I'm setting things up for the final confrontation. This is requiring me to get characters in place and heading toward one point to face off. The last few chapters have been dealing with that and it all kind of feels like a bunch of talking, planning and exposition. Not terribly exciting stuff when you really think about it. I do have some confrontations and battles of will, but the explosive action of the first half seems to have hit a lull.

So in the back of my mind I'm wondering how much of this is going to get reworked and just plain deleted. I have to have some kind of written explanation of why characters are ending up in this one spot and why they are prepared to attempt certain actions. If they just appear and start doing odd stuff it will just seem lame (I think it will, maybe it will be a fun surprise). In any case, I don't see a better way to get essentially four groups of people in different locations all heading toward this one point without them interacting and talking.

Hopefully I've just got the "needy-ass-writer-blues", which is an official thing. I hope that when I reread this for the first edit pass through it won't be bad at all, and just need a few tweaks and trims. The main goal is to just keep writing. And I'm going to do just that.

Music for this run:

  • Priest (soundtrack) - Christopher Young
  • Species (soundtrack) - Christopher Young
Final Word Count: 35709

No comments: