Thursday, November 12, 2015

NaNoWriMo 2015 - November 12

So first things first, I had to rework the action scene I ended with last night. I went back and reread the scene and realized that I could keep the same set up and even the same distraction the protagonists attempt, but the actual confrontation (which only lasted a paragraph in the original version) got expanded. I really turned the tables against the protagonists and it helped raise the tension of the whole scene (I hope). I also had the main antagonist make her first big appearance, but did in a way that the main character doesn't really see the specifics of what happens. So he is impressed by her show of force, but doesn't really see her. I hope it reads as well as it played out in my imagination.

After that I had a Book of Thoth chapter. I think it was Joss Whedon who talked about those moments in supernatural thrillers where the characters obtain wise advice from a mentor, or a sage or a book (or all three) and that sets things up for the final confrontation. He called them: Book of Thoth scenes. If memory serves he disliked having those moments stop the plot. I can see where he is coming from because this chapter was nothing but a dialogue that went on for pages and pages. Since I love dialogue, I had no problem with it, but in the back of my mind I'm wondering how much is going to get edited out just so I can keep the pacing brisk and lively.

It's a dilemma I've faced before. My protagonist will not know any of this stuff (dealing with the occult and the forces arrayed against him). Keeping him ignorant up till this point helps build suspense and add tension. But it means I have to give him an info dump in the middle of the story. The other option is to feed him some of this as the story goes along. That might work, but I have to be careful to give him enough to be dangerous, maybe increase the tension because he knows a little out the enemies he's facing. I don't know. But I don't have to worry about that right now. First draft is all about getting it down. My first editing pass will be looking at that monster chapter.

Coming up next... well I can go with another dialogue scene between the main antagonist and her prisoner. Or I can put that off for a chapter and stick with my protagonist preparing for the upcoming battle, or maybe starting the hunt. I'm on the fence, but we'll see where it falls this weekend.

Music for this run:

  • The Woman in Black (soundtrack) - Marco Beltrami
  • Thor (soundtrack) - Patrick Doyle
  • Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (soundtrack) - Michael Giacchino
Final Word Count: 29023

No comments: