Monday, November 7, 2016

NaNoWriMo 2016 - November 7

Got started a little late tonight, but was still able to meet my word count. Tonight's writing was a lot of description. I'm not sure how much of it is going to end up in the final draft. I usually find that going into too much detail of settings or movement through the settings can actually end up confusing the reader. But leave too much out and you aren't actually giving the reader enough to flesh out in their mind. It is a delicate balance I think.

In this case, I have my protagonist rogue character sneaking around a temple complex. I went into a lot of details about her sneaking around guards, staying in the shadows and climbing walls. Fun to imagine all these details, but I wonder how it will all read.

What was interesting was fleshing out a bit of her backstory during this sequence. The reason she is going to all this trouble is to talk to another one of her race. She's been living among humans for a long time, so she is excited to meet someone like her. But as I mentioned in my last post, this antagonist is a misanthrope. So their dialogue was quite a bit of fun to write, as the protagonist goes from perky and cheerful, to confused, to disturbed, to outright terrified by the antagonist. Yeah it was good.

Here are the stats for tonight:

Page Start: 97
Page End: 103
Word Count Start: 40850
Word Count End: 43934
Music:
  • Princess Mononoke – Joe Hisaishi
  • Wonder Woman – Christopher Drake

3 comments:

El Vox said...

You might enjoy listening to The Writing Excuses blog, which I heard about from the Reading Rhodes guy on YT. Here's the link: http://www.writingexcuses.com/2015/01/04/writing-excuses-10-1-seriously-where-do-you-get-your-ideas/

Here's the link to The Reading Rhodes vlog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUVSDSuViKE
He has also started reading a few stories that I've been meaning to check out here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFBqfo86wMM

Richard Bellush said...

Those sound like good theme music choices for your character -- I can see climbing walls and evading capture to those.

Roman J. Martel said...

El Vox - Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out when I get a chance. I know many authors hate the question "where do you get your ideas". Stephen King goes off on that question in his "On Writing" book. :)

Richard - Yeah Mononoke has a great main theme, very noble and actually sounds a bit like James Horner in "Braveheart" mode. the whole score is a good one. Drake's "Wonder Woman" is really an excellent modern action adventure score. He wrote it for the direct to video DC animated film featuring Wonder Woman's origin story. It has this very primal feel to the first part of the score, and goes huge and bombastic for the conclusion. Really the perfect fit for my female protagonists.