Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Novel Status - December 1

So NaNoWriMo officially ended, but I'm still writing away. I'll continue to post some thoughts here just to have a written record of how I'm doing. As well as a public forum to keep me honest and writing. We'll see how long it lasts.

As I mentioned, I'm attempting to keep my writing schedule and minimum word count going for this novel until I complete it. Today I finished the longest chapter of the novel so far. It was a fairly intense sequence as my protagonist attempt to elude the creatures pursuing them. Had some fun building the suspense as they figured out what they were up against, and then entered the desperation mode as each attempt to escape is countered. I even worked in a moment I had in the back of my mind but wasn't sure if I could fit it in. Essentially it's foreshadowing for a later novel, but I found the perfect spot for it.

All in all it was a good solid evening of writing. Next chapter is going to pit my antagonist against her arch-rival (and no that isn't my protagonist. He's nothing but an ant to her. But she should really pay more attention to pest control). I really like this arch-rival character and I'm not sure if she's going to survive this encounter or not. I'm curious to see how it goes.

Music for this run:

  • Ghost in the Shell - Kenji Kawai
  • Aliens - James Horner
  • Aliens: Colonial Marines - Kevin Riepl
  • Berserk - Susumu Hirasawa
Final Word Count: 56934

2 comments:

Richard Bellush said...

Fleas kill more people than lions, true enough.

"The best swordsman in the world doesn't need to fear the second best swordsman in the world; no, the person for him to be afraid of is some ignorant antagonist who has never had a sword in his hand before; he doesn't do the thing he ought to do, and so the expert isn't prepared for him." - Mark Twain, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

Roman J. Martel said...

I've never read that particular Twain story. But I really like the quote. It holds true all to often, especially in fantasy and adventure novels. I have to say my antagonist has a very inflated ego, so it will be a particular blind spot for her.