Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Who Are You? Part 4 - Vulmar Arnulf

Time again for another exploration into one of my characters from the Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition. Last time we looked at the dwarven cleric with a mango obsession: Olgar Bristlebeard. This character was a bit special in a lot of ways. He was a home-brew race. He was a class I had never tried before in all my time playing RPGs. And he was a traitor... yep me and the DM were going there with the plot.

Vulmar was not quite this bird like. But I like
the image anyway. He kinda wishes he was this
cool looking.
  • Vulmar Arnulf - Mendrari Ranger/Gloomstalker - The Assassin and Dayo Gorge (Home-brew)
    • This was the first campaign for the podcast The Iron Archive. Our DM gave us an outline of this storyline, and that helped me decide what kind of character to make.
    • I picked the home-brew race - Mendrari. These are bird-like beings with the ability for limited gliding and skills at climbing. They have down-like feathers around their head instead of hair. 
    • I picked ranger because we were hunting down an assassin. Gloomstalker is a great sub-class for rangers, and the abilities to deliver a deadly first strike are impressive. Neat combo of fighting and spell casting.
    • I pitched my voice a bit lower for Vulmar. He was part of an Imperial military unit, so I had him always refer to the captain as "sir" or "captain".
    • Backstory - Vulmar was a skilled ranger who was prized for ability to hunt down targets. he was also a gambler. Because of his gambling habit he ended up in with a large debit. He hid this fact from his wife and child, but a criminal underworld was now pressuring him to pay up or his family would suffer. He was approached by the rebellion to act as a spy in exchange for them paying off his debts. He accepted, and his family was spared. Vulmar attempted to stay away from gambling afterward. However the rebellion asked him to stop the capture/killing of their best assassin. Now Vulmar has to become a traitor to the empire.
    • Typical Vulmar - A man of few words. The less I spoke, the less I would give away as the hidden traitor in the group. Vulmar was quiet, but nearly unable to not say "captain" to his commanding officer, even when they were supposed to undercover. So I had lots of moments where Vulmar would say "I understand cap... boss."
    • Favorite Moment - Well being the traitor, yeah that was the most memorable moment. It was a combination of fun and horrifying. Because immediately killing my companions to save the assassin was so counter to what you do in D&D. It was a memorable moment for sure, but in the end Vulmar and the assassin won! No one (not even the DM) expected that. So it was a mixture of exciting and horrifying.
I mean if you are going to betray, might as well do it in the
sleaziest city in the  Forgotten Realms. 

No comments: